About the author

Miron Abramson
Me
Software Engineer,
CTO at PixeliT
and .NET addicted for long time.
Open source projects:
MbCompression - Compression library

Recent comments

Authors

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in anyway.

© Copyright 2014

Creative Commons License

Blog Flux Directory
Technology Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Why I think I will stick with WebForms

The MVC concept is clear and logic and the guys at Microsoft did a very good job with the new MVC Framework , But I think I will stick with the 'old fashioned' WebForms and this is why:

1. I don't need anybody to 'force' me to seperate my code into layers. I do it any way in every site I build. I have a DataAccess layer, a Business logic layer and a 'View' layer, and I know exactly when and where to use each layer.

2. I build web sites. I don't need my code to work with any other 'View' other than HTML, and if I do, as I mentioned before, my Business logic layer is in a seperate dll so I can reuse it.

3. One of the first things I do when I start a new project is to disable the ViewState in the web.config, which leaves me with a hidden field with about 50 chars length (aroung 50bytes) - I can live with that. That will not slow down my site. If the page is not doing any POST, I can remove the <form runat="serve"> from it, and then there will be no ViewState at all.

4. I heavily use JavaScript and Ajax (usually with jQuery & my own js 'framework') to give better user experiance.

5. The only 'Databinding controls' I use are Repeater and ListView (and DropDownList) that are rendering exactly the HTML I want.

6. The only server control (other than  'Databinding controls') I use are HyperLink,Literal and PlaceHolder that not render any extra HTML other then what I want.

7. I heavily use inline expression

8. I use short 2-3 chars names for my controls.

9. I do use NUint (truly, only when I must)

10. I use httpcompression to improve performance.

11. I use Url rewriting if needed.

12. My code is well organized and very easy to maintain.

13. I know all the little secrets of the ASP.NET framework and know how to take it to it's limits

I bet my sites have no worse performance than MVC sites or any other technology  and I'm sure it will take me less time to build a well organized site with all the points above.

I built and designed tens of sites. From small, medium to very large, and never had a performance problem that couldn't be solved by using the above points.

Use MVC if you want to be cool. I will stay with my oldy friend - WebForm

Why should I replace a winning horse ?

Currently rated 3.5 by 21 people

• Currently 3.523809/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Tags:
Categories: ASP.NET | C# | Performance
Posted by Miron on Friday, February 13, 2009 6:26 AM
Permalink | Comments (21) | Post RSSRSS comment feed

Related posts

Comments

DotNetKicks.com

Friday, February 13, 2009 7:45 AM

trackback

Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

Why I think I will stick with WebForms

Rydal us

Friday, February 13, 2009 10:47 AM

Rydal

Same thoughts here, I built a couple of site using MVC, just to learn and that was it, web forms do the trick. At this point in time MVC is cool but it doesn't buy me anything and I don't want to be another ROR developer.

Łukasz pl

Saturday, February 14, 2009 10:46 AM

Łukasz

Interesting post. Could you give further explanations why you prefer ASP.NET (if you are not using most of 'advantages' of it) and why you are calling your approach 'WebForms'? Because it looks like HTML + AJAX + backend in C#.

Anz in

Monday, February 16, 2009 11:36 PM

Anz

great post.. and great blog.. am also thinking to stick with Webform. I follow most of the steps you pointed.. except turning off the entire Viewstate and httpcompression.. gonna try your httpcompression in my next project.
It will be great if you can make a blog post with some sample source on how to make a project and following all the steps you pointed above.

Miron il

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:32 PM

Miron

@Lujasz,
You half right, that's basically the point. I'm trying to use the good benefits of the ASP.NET, but not always.
Sometimes I do use postbacks (usually when doing back office pages), handlers/modules, page life cycle etc...
and the backend is C#. So, Usually, the user side is mostly HTML + AJAX with C# backend as you pointed, but usually
administrations (backoffice) will be more 'WebForms' - but I will always try to follow my 13 points.

piyush in

Friday, February 27, 2009 8:07 PM

piyush

thanks for telling the importance of webforms.its great..I agree with you..
Regards.

kampanye damai id

Sunday, March 01, 2009 5:30 PM

kampanye damai

Useful info..

Nice article..

Erik

Monday, March 09, 2009 7:45 PM

Erik

The most importent reason for MCV is testability. You dont use MVP with webforms ore similar pattern? So if you dont care about testability (maybe just function test with selenium or waitin) theres really no reason to jump to ASP.NET MVC

Erik

Monday, March 09, 2009 7:50 PM

Erik

"I heavily use JavaScript and Ajax (usually with jQuery & my own js 'framework') to give better user experiance. "

In my opinion not a really good reason, my personal thoughts about this is thats its easier to use ajax and jquery with ASP.NET MVC. Controller Actions that returns Json or Partial Views that directly renders the html to a container in the view.

Brian Lowry us

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:31 PM

Brian Lowry

By the same token, there's no reason not to jump to MVC if you are already using all of the concepts. Smile

James Hughes gb

Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:36 PM

James Hughes

"I heavily use JavaScript and Ajax (usually with jQuery & my own js 'framework') to give better user experience."

Surely one of the key selling points with MVC over Webforms is a more fine grained control over HTML and Javascript?

James Hughes gb

Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:43 PM

James Hughes

Sorry for the double post

"I build web sites. I don't need my code to work with any other 'View' other than HTML, and if I do, as I mentioned before, my Business logic layer is in a seperate dll so I can reuse it."

I think we have a different understanding here. The fact you can change your view engine shouldn't be about changing the output from HTML to something else. I think it's more about the ability to change how the output get rendered. Being able to use StringTemplate based view rendering provides some excellent benefits when working with large tables based on your Model etc.. Also a project has arisen in the past the specified that XML and XSL be used to render views - doing this in MVC is a matter of swapping in the XSLT view engine - doing that using webforms would surely be a lot messier.

Pink Stuff us

Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:22 AM

Pink Stuff

Very interesting post, thanks for sharing.

Leadership Styles gb

Friday, May 01, 2009 11:20 PM

Leadership Styles

I kinda disagree, I'm more than ready to totally move on to the MVC framework. I think if you stay behind... you'll get left behind.

sulumits retsambew us

Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:25 PM

sulumits retsambew

thanks for sharing your oppinion...

Milan Flights us

Friday, June 05, 2009 4:46 AM

Milan Flights

This was a very interesting post thanks for writing it!

social network software us

Monday, June 08, 2009 7:22 AM

social network software

Sulumits Retsambew us

Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:05 AM

Sulumits Retsambew

indeed... agree with you

Auto Transport us

Friday, June 26, 2009 4:27 AM

Auto Transport

I think that it will take a bit of time for the newer stuff to take hold, since the older stuff still works very well. While there will always be those out there who will want to use the cutting edge stuff, if something is not broken, don't fix it.

fisher island homes us

Friday, June 26, 2009 8:09 PM

fisher island homes

Yeah it becomes easy sometimes to stick with old WebForms. Learning new things is good but we should not forget the old code.

cute rain boots us

Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:22 PM

cute rain boots

I’ve been working on a new project and doing it in both web forms and ASP.NET MVC (sadistic, I know, but it allows me to effectively hedge my bet in case the ASP.NET MVC app doesn’t turn out so great).

ASP.NET MVC is by no means a silver bullet. A lot of people treat it as the end-all-be-all of web application, but its really only applicable for certain application types (ones that need heavy unit testing and fine-grained control over the HTML). The friendly URLs are a push in my opinion since the routing engine can be supported with standard web forms as well.

As for Oxite, it’s not a good, or even passable in many people’s eyes, example of an ASP.NET MVC application. There are a slew of blog posts detailing why, mostly from the ALT.NET community.